„Nature is powerful, man is tiny. The existence of humanity depends on how it manages to contact nature, how to understand it and how to use its forces for their own benefit.”
Environmental awareness at the BLUE
During partner selection it’s an important aspect that environmental requirements are always met. The eco-friendly packaging is collected and dispatched separately. The waste generated during the installation is selectively treated with a company that specializes in this business field. Some of the delivered waste is recycled, certified by documents. In our office kitchen waste and paper waste are collected separately.
Strong commitment at Steelcase
In 2007, Steelcase announced an aggressive environmental strategy to reduce its environmental footprint by 25% by 2012
Steelcase was the 1st company in the office furniture industry to apply the expertise of the Life Cycle thinking in the design of new products, in 2000. By understanding where and how a product is made, Steelcase identify opportunities to make it use less energy and reduce its waste and environmental impact.
Since 2000 Steelcase eco-design policy leads to:
- Ensure products contain the highest possible recycled content
- Reduce the number of components for quick and easy disassembly and effective recycling
- Ensure the absence of heavy metals or harmful substances (no PVC, Chrome 6 replaced by Chrome 3)
- Shrink packaging volumes to save fuel and reduce CO2 emissions
- Ensure the recyclability of our products (materials choice and design for disassembly)
This scientific process measures impact against 8 global environmental parameters considered throughout the product life cycle:
- Global warming
- Ozone depletion
- Photochemical smog
- Abiotic resource depletion
- Toxic substances.
Since 2004, Steelcase work on packaging reduction. The Eco-Smart solution also results in:
- less packaging waste
- better transportation efficiency with lower energy consumption and CO2 emissions.
To minimise the amount of waste put into the landfill, Steelcase ensure recyclability of components and organise “Re-use” channels for products.
Successful recycle/reuse efforts require:
- using significant recycled content
- ensuring that recycled content is toxin-free.
To simplify recycling:
- Steelcase minimize co-mingled components
- Steelcase consider the number and type of fasteners
- Steelcase are committed to making disassembly quick and easy with common hand tools
- adhesives are eliminated if possible
- plastic parts weighing more than 50g are marked for the proper recycling stream
Environmental product declaration
Steelcase products and materials are submitted for approval by international certification schemes, including, NF Environment, Blauer Engel, Cradle-to-Cradle, PEFC, E1, Öko-Tex and the European Flower.
Since 2003, Steelcase communicate openly about the environmental performance of its products via 2 tools:
- The Environmental product declaration (EPD) based on Life Cycle Assessment validated by independent third party assessors.
- The Product Environmental Profile (PEP).