The blue colour
“Blue the sky and blue the green, blue the tree and blue the earth… Blue the bird and blue the lake and blue in blue the river of blue.”
The colour blue
- Calm and Cool: Blue is calming. It can be strong and steadfast or light and friendly. Almost everyone likes some shade of the colour blue.
- Pantone has selected the colour Blue Iris (PANTONE 18-3943) as the “2008 Colour of the Year” telling us: “Combining the stable and calming aspects of blue with the mystical and spiritual qualities of purple, Blue Iris satisfies the need for reassurance in a complex world, while adding a hint of mystery and excitement.”
- Nature of Blue:A natural colour, from the blue of the sky, blue is a universal colour. The cool, calming effect of blue makes time pass more quickly and it can help you sleep. Blue is a good colour for bedrooms. However, too much blue could dampen spirits.
- Culture of Blue:In many diverse cultures blue is significant in religious beliefs, brings peace, or is believed to keep the bad spirits away.
- Blue conveys importance and confidence without being sombre or sinister, hence the blue power suit of the corporate world and the blue uniforms of police officers. Long considered a corporate colour, blue, especially darker blue is associated with intelligence, stability and unity.